Got a picky eater who refuses leafy greens? Stubbornly says they won’t eat tomato? Or, got great eaters who are pretty good, but won’t tackle lettuce and tomato? I have a solution for you with a fun way to eat – tacos!
The joy of tacos gives kids a level of control over their own food that they don’t normally get, so right away it’s a much more fun way to eat.
Also, for younger picky eaters, seeing the rest of the family putting healthy shredded lettuce and sliced tomato on the tacos (often) will create desire to mimic and make their own taco just like older siblings and mum and dad.
Finally, my most successful tip for getting picky eaters to try healthy foods such as lettuce and tomato, is invite a favourite older cousin or friend over. In our family, my three children worship their older cousins Joe and Eliza. When they saw them both eating lettuce and tomato it was clear that lettuce and tomato were cool! We’ve had not trouble ever since.
Here’s my recipe for tacos. I would really love to hear from readers who have their own taco tips. This post came about after I posted a photo of our taco night last night and I got lots of responses on my Facebook page from others who also love taco night. So let’s hear your top taco tips for kids!
We use chicken mince because of our recent switch to eating healthier food and reducing our red meat intake.
- 500g of chicken mince + seasoning (will get to that in a sec)
- grated lite cheddar cheese
- lite sour cream
- tomato relish/sauce
- hard taco shells
- soft taco wraps
You could use the seasoning that comes in the taco box but we prefer to make our own. We make up a batch of it and put it in an old spice jar. It usually lasts a few weeks (we have tacos probably every fortnight or so). This is the recipe Nick uses. I’ll put a link to where he got it from when I find out from him. It makes a wonderful seasoning mix.
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
Throw it all in a jar and shake it around – voila!
Tomato relish: You can use the one that comes in the pre-packaged box but we don’t. Nick often makes up his own, using tinned tomatoes as the base. But the packet stuff is good too.
To make tacos:
- Brown the mince, sprinkle the seasoning in. Simmer for 20 mins.
- Shred the lettuce, slice the tomato, grate the cheese, pour the sour cream into a serving bowl, dice the avocado. Put everything on a lazy susan for easy access.
- Warm the hard shells in the oven.
- Microwave the soft wraps for 15 – 20 seconds.
To eat the tacos, there are a variety of ways:
- Lay the soft taco on the plate and fill with your choice of ingredients, roll up and eat.
- Lay the soft taco on the plate, place the hard taco on it, fill the hard taco with ingredients and wrap the soft wrap around the hard taco – eat!
- Spoon the chicken mince onto the plate, garnish with lettuce, tomato, avocado, cheese, tomato relish/sauce, sour cream and then crush the hard tacos over the top. Mix it all together and eat. Yum!
There are lots of fun ways to do tacos and the varieties are endless. I have readers who do vegetarian versions, and apparently even a fish version (looking forward to that email, by the way!).
Email me your taco tips: felicitymoore at y7mail dot com.